Human beings like to eat, but we need to be careful about what we put in our mouths. There are some foods that are really dangerous to the human system, that are delicacies in other parts of the world. We furnish you with the reasons why you shouldn’t eat these things.
1. Sannakji (baby octopus) – It is eaten while still alive, so be prepared to battle fighting tentacles. The suction cups can get stuck to your throat if you don’t chew thoroughly, leading to asphyxiation. It’s a delicacy from Korea.
2. Raw cashews – The double shell surrounding the raw cashew contains urushiol, a resin that can create significant skin rashes and can be toxic when ingested. Urushiol is the same chemical found in poison ivy. It’s found on the raw cashew shell.
3. Blood clams – They have been known to have hepatitis A, C and E. Usually quick boiled, it still leaves many viruses and bacteria. Typhoid and dysentery are present. It’s eaten in Asia.
4. Cassava – Cassava is one of the world’s most popular staple foods, often being used as a tropical delicacy, used in the form of tapioca starch or flour. The leaves and roots contain cyanide, so if it’s not properly washed or cooked, cassava can be deadly even in small doses.
5. Nutmeg – In large doses, nutmeg contains myristicin, a psychoactive substance. Myristicin poisoning can induce convulsions, palpitations, nausea, eventual dehydration and generalised body pain. It’s also a strong deliriant.
6. Tuna – This fish accumulates toxic mercury in their flesh, as a result of industrial pollution. Mercury side effects include; finger curling, cognitive impairment, coordination movement and heart disease.
7. Blowfish – Blowfish contains tetrodotoxin, a substance that makes the flesh foul tasting, which is often lethal. To humans, tetradotoxin is up to 1,200 times more deadly than cyanide. There is enough poison in one blowfish to kill 30 adults. It’s a Japanese treat.
8. Hakarl – It contains uric acid and trimethylamine oxide. It is poisonous when eaten fresh, having the potential to cause illness and possibly death to those who ingest it prematurely. It is an Icelandic meal.